I USED THE STUDY GUIDES THE NFPA STANDARDS TO DEVELOP MY MANAGEMENT TEMPLATE
Question #1. As a newly Promoted BC, How do you address this situation?
The Chief orders you to investigate the quality of station training in the Department, beginning with Battalion 6, and to compare it to the quality of training with that of the other five fire Battalions in the department.
Battalion 6 has the worst reputation for consistent training and I will set in place a Training Regiment that will Fix this Problem.
1st I must understand That my Job as BC6, AS IS EVERY BC & EVERY OTHER MEMBER OF THE FD. are all Under the DIRECTION of the Fire Chief AND THESE ARE HIS REQUESTS OF ME.
Incident and FD PRIORITIES are always … L.I.P.C.
I recognize that THE LIFE SAFETY OF THE FIREFIGHTERS & CIVILIANS IS PARAMOUNT and Proper Training is key to keeping everyone safe on the SCENE and SAFETY is regarded as the single most important reason to train.
<span style=”color: #0000ff;”>My Job assists in the MANAGEMENT, TRAINING and DISCIPLINE of my subordinates on the fire department by supervising a group of fire companies engaged in providing fire Protection for people and property.</span>
* I WILL APPLY BASIC MANAGEMENT & TRAINING ACTIVITIES INVOLVING
1. PLANNING, 2. STRUCTURE, 3. DIRECTION
* I WILL IMPLEMENT PROGRAMS & EVALUATE PERIODICALLY TO ENSURE THEY CONTINUALLY MAKE PROGRESS. I WILL BENCHMARK & ACHIEVE SET GOALS.
5 ELEMENTS OF A SUCCESSFUL TRAINING PROCESS.
1. PLANNING ( Both Management & Training )
2. ENSURING SAFETY
3. MEETING NATIONAL, STATE AND LOCAL TRAINING STANDARDS AND REQUIREMENTS
4. RECOGNIZING NEEDS (TRAINING IN CONTEXT & DISCIPLINE)
5. FORMAT DELIVERY TO SUIT YOUR “NEEDS ANALYSIS”
I WILL USE THE 5 ELEMENTS & A DISAPLINED APPROACH & DIRECT MY PLANS AND PROGAMS. AS FOLLOWS:
<strong>1. PLANNING IS KEY IN BOTH MANAGEMENT & TRAINING:</strong>
<strong> SO ALWAYS 1ST – FACT FINDING / “NEEDS ANALYSIS”</strong>
ID THE CHALLENGE, PULL ALL PREVIOUS TRAINING RECORDS, NIFR’s and Injury Reports.
Get I.S.O RATING & SET GOALS IN WRITING!
<span style=”color: #0000ff;”>INVESTIGATE</span> the quality of station training in the Department, beginning with Station 6, and to compare it to the quality of training with that of the other five fire Battalions in the department, as well as other cities and States.
I will set in place a Training Regiment that will
<span style=”color: #0000ff;”>ROLE MODEL THE SUCCESSFUL PROGRAMS.</span>
<span style=”color: #0000ff;”> LOOK INTO COST SHARING WITH THE OTHER CITIES AND TOWNS</span>
<span style=”color: #0000ff;”> MEET ALL CHALLENGES.</span>
I WILL ALSO NEED TO GRADE OUR Fire Department. ,
Get and Improve THE I.S.O Rating?
Pre Fire Plans and Post Incident Evaluation AKA /Post Fire Analisys combined with Daily TRAINING SCHEDULE which use the S.O.P. as a Safety Model and the IMS to keep structure and ACCOUNTABILITY in place.
I will start with me …
I WILL DEVISE A DAILY SCHEDULE AND BE INVOLVED WITH THE DAILY DRILLS
The most important aspect of my Job will be to train and drill my battalion to see where they are at and me being new to the post will need to do research to bring myself up to speed as well.
ANNUAL TARGET HAZARD REPORTS UPDATED PRE FIRE PLANS WILL BE REVIEWED BY ME AS WELL AS MY SUBORDINATES.
2. Ensuring Safety
I will MEET WITH OTHER BC’s. ADDRESS ALL SAFETY ISSUES AND SOP’S & set goals to fix INHERENT problems. Always FOCUS on a possitive.
SET Chief’s AT EASE meeting is to address training concerns brought up by the chief of the department AND EXPLAIN HOW THIS SAFETY PROGRAM WILL BENEFIT EVERYONE.
Scenario Specific: …
EXPLAIN YOUR ASSIGNMENT is to develop a plan for evaluating the consistency and quality of station training throughout the department, starting with Station 6. I WOULD LIKE TO START WITH A MODEL OF WHAT IS GOING ON IN THE OTHER 5 BATTALIONS OTHER CITIES AND STATES.
I propose to bring in the other battalion chiefs AND FORM A SAFETY COMMITTEE so that EVERYONE CAN BE BETTER TRAINED AND PREPARED. With Battalion Chief’ I STRESS Team Work and LEADING BY EXAMPLE.
CONVEY THE FACT THAT THE FIRE CHIEF HAS ASKED ME TO HEAD THIS PROJECT AND THANK THEM FOR THEIR HELP. I WILL SERVE AS THE LIAISON OFFICER BETWEEN THE
HEAD OF THE SAFETY COMMITTEE, BC’s, THE TRAINING OFFICER AND OTHER
STAFF POSITIONS such as Planning, LOGISTICS and community relations.
STRESSING “BACK TO THE BASICS”…
I will USE ALL available RESOURCES at my disposal.
THE INTERNET AND THE NATIONAL FIRE ACADEMY CAN TRAIN FROM A DISTANCE . THE WWW IS AN INVALUABLE POOL OF KNOWLEDGE & TOOL FOR TRAINING THAT I CAN AND DO USE. I would like to role MODEL successful programs starting with the basics.
PAUSE AND LISTEN TO SUGGESTIONS?
3. MEET NATIONAL, STATE AND LOCAL TRAINING STANDARDS AND REQUIREMENTS DEVELOP SOLUTIONS BASED ON YOUR…..NEEDS ASSESSMENT, STRATEGIC NEEDS & ORGANIZATIONAL GOALS.
TRAIN TRAIN & TRAIN SOME MORE!!!
ALL OF OUR MEMBERS
WRITTEN COMMUNICATION OF ALL PROGRESS. RECORD KEEPING IS A HUGE SOURCE OF INFORMATION,
PRE FIRE PLANNING AND POST INCIDENT EVALUATION (PIE’S) WILL USED AS TRAINING TOOLS AS WELL AS “TRAINING IN CONTEXT.”
Fire departments nationwide will develop the next generation of successful and effective fire officers by following the requirements in NFPA 1021
4. RECOGNIZING NEEDS … MANAGEMENT, TRAINING and DISCIPLINE
REVIEW SOP (GET Back to the BASICS, L.I.P.C….I.M.S., S.O.G., PRE FIRE PLANS, & Accountability , TRAINING IN CONTEXT & PIE’S)
Training in context uses the available time and resources within my battalion during OUR work schedule.
This process takes as many elements of the training standard as possible and incorporates it into solutions for tactical problems that arise on the fire ground.
MY NEEDS ANALYSIS WILL focus on:
* critical skills and knowledge that are used infrequently.
* HIGH CONSEQUENCE SKILLS AND PROCEDURES
* INPUT FROM INCIDENT EXPERIENCE
* CONTINUING EDUCATION REQUIRED FOR CERTIFICATION.
* MANDATED TRAINING
* DEPARTMENTAL GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
Training in Context consists of 4 steps.
1. The Operation Explained
2. The Expected Product is Illustrated.
3. The candidates are coached while they practice. Using Repetition to master technical skills
4. The perfect Product is evaluated.
5. FORMAT DELIVERY TO SUIT YOUR “NEEDS ANALYSIS.”
A.D.I.M.E.(ANALYZE, Develop, I.D. CHALLENGES and Implement SOLUTIONS, Monitor & Evaluate Progress)
MY PRESENTATION TO THE CHIEF WILL INCLUDE ….
* IDENTIFY THAT this is an ON GOING CHALLENGE. PULL ALL TRAINING RECORDS, REVIEW AND SET GOALS
* IDENTIFY: RESEARCH WHAT RULES, REGULATIONS, LAWS, AND STANDARDS MAY APPLY TO MY PLAN.THERE ARE SOME EXCELLENT MODELS TO CHOOSE FROM AND ADOPT.
* STRESSING “BACK TO THE BASICS”…
I WILL IDENTIFY TRAINING WITHIN 3 CATEGORIES
THE MUST KNOW, THE NEED TO KNOW AND THE NICE TO KNOW.
THE MUST KNOW… “OSHA”
1. HAZARDOUS WASTE OPERATIONS AND EMERGENCY RESPONSE TRAINING(HAZWOPER)
2. RESPIRATORY PROTECTION TRAINING
3. OCCUPATIONAL EXPOSURE TO BLOODBORNE PATHOGENS
THE NEED TO KNOW…CERTIFICATION BASED TRAINING …”NFPA”
NFPA 1000 STANDARD ON FIRE SERVICE PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATION
ACCREDITATION AND CERTIFICATION SYSTEMS.
NFPA 1001, 1002….
NFPA 472 STANDARD FOR RESPONSE TO HAZMAT MATERIAL INCIDENTS
THE NICE TO KNOW…?
ANYTHING NOT MANDATORY BUT CAN AID IN INCIDENT STABILIZATION.
* DEVELOP SET UP TRAINING OPERATIONS AT ALL LEVELS (ITCO)
Mandates Captains to be certified Trainers of Firefighters.
Firefighters should be constantly collecting knowledge and Data to keep themselves current on all changes
INSTRUCTIONAL TRAINING FOR COMPANY OFFICERS ( ITCO )
USING NFPA STANDARDS 1021 AND 1041.
NFPA 1021 helps ensure fire officers are ready to take command in today’s world.
IT HELPS fire service leaders PREPARE FOR multiple challenges on the fire ground, at the station, and in the community.
NFPA 1021: Standard for Fire Officer Professional Qualifications identifies the performance requirements necessary for the duties of a fire officer and specifically identifies four levels of progression: Fire Officer Levels I, II, III, and IV.
Changes in the 2009 edition include:
• A rewritten and updated document purpose and scope
• A new skills maintenance requirement in Chapter 1
• Replacement of the term “certification” with the term “qualification”
• Revised duty statements for inspection and investigation (Chapters 4, 5, and 6)
• New Job Performance Requirements (JPRs) clarify the committee’s intent
PRE FIRE PLANS, TARGET HAZARDS & EXCEPTION PRINCIPLES
Station 6’s district includes two elementary schools, the high school, numerous strip malls and two shopping centers. The rest of the district consists of middle-to-upper- class, single-family dwellings. Review S.O.P.’s & PRE PLANS. BRING ALL UP TO DATE…IDENTIFY TARGET HAZARDS AND DISCUSS FINDINGS DURING DRILLS.
DISCIPLINE AND THE CHAIN OF COMMAND
* OPEN DOOR POLICY for questions and advice to all COMMAND STAFF, CAPTAINS and FIREFIGHTERS.
* DOCUMENT any … meetings / training / investigations
DIRECT & DOCUMENT
* FOLLOW UP and hold Captains & Firefighters accountable for Training and IMPROVEMENT. Daily Drills and Reports to ensure progress. Frequency is the key to long term memory. MONITOR FIRE GROUND FOR IMPROVEMENTS
* FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH NEW TRAINING SCHEDULE WILL RESULT IN REPRIMAND or PROGRESSIVE DICSIPLINE/Written Reprimand if this known violation of SOP is a reoccurring PROBLEM.
* INFORM SUBORDINATES on THEIR DUE PROCESS and THEIR RIGHT TO APPEAL any decision. E.P.A.
* WRITTEN REPORTS TRACK PROGRESS AND to keep the CHIEF INFORMED.
* Provide RECOMMENDATIONS to Chief for future actions.
TO SUMMARIZE AND REVIEW MY PROGRAMS
I USED TARGET HAZARD DRILLS AND REPORTS ALONG WITH Training in Context TO TRAIN, MANAGE, DISCIPLINE MY BATTALION AND ALONG WITH THE SAFETY COMMITTEE EVALUATED AND TRACKED OUR PROGRESS LOOKING FORWARD TO THE FUTURE WHILE LEARNING FROM THE PAST.
I USED EXCEPTION PRINCIPLES TO DELEGATE AUTHORITY SO THAT DECISIONS WERE HANDLED ACCORDING BY USING TIMELINES AND SCHEDULES BY USING SUBORDINATES OF THE ORGANIZATION WHILE RETAINING THE ABILITY FOR THOSE LOWER LEVELS TO TO ASK FOR HELP ON THE EXCEPTIONS FROM THEIR SUPERVISORS ALL THE WAY UP THE CHAIN OF COMMAND.
* I ADDRESSED THE LEADERSHIP & COMMITMENT OF THE BC’S.
* I FRAMED THE PROBLEMS & CHALLENGES OF BC6 TRAINING BROUGHT THE BATTALION UP TO SPEED.
* I DEVELOPED GOALS, MODELS AND ALTERNATIVES BASED ON SUCCESSFUL ROLE MODELING.
* I COLLECTED VALUED INFORMATION AND DOCUMENTED PROGRESS.
* I ACCESED THE NEEDS ANALYSIS & PROPOSED SOLUTIONS.
* I RECRUITED THE NECESSARY RESOURCES.
* I DEVISED AND IMPLEMENTED A PLAN AND PUT IT IN WRITING.
* I STARTED A TRAINING PROGRAM & SAFETY COMMITTEE.
* IT WILL BE MONITORED & EVALUATED OVER TIME.